“Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.’”
~ Matthew 19:14
University UMC Children and Family Ministries want to be a source of faith and comfort for your children and you right now. You love and enjoy those babies and young children in your life, and raising them and nurturing them is humbling and exhausting! I see you, parents. Beyond thoughts and prayers, I want to partner with you. Children and Family Ministries is your child’s gateway into connecting with our church and connecting with church is how children move forward in their spiritual journey. Children learn and imitate what their parents model and prioritize. So choose church, parents! Hear this from me: You, parent, are a beloved child of God. Give yourself grace and patience as you navigate all the new demands parenting places on you and your time. Pray for patience and creativity, motivated by love, as you engage and reengage with your children and family each day. Sometimes you feel frightened, anxious, impatient and angry, and sometimes you will allow those emotions to influence how you treat your children. Forgive yourself, know that God keeps forgiving you, and try again. God has promised to be present in our grief and our struggles, not to admonish but to comfort. God knows and God loves you. Act from that secure knowledge. That is Christian parenting.
I have lots of books and other resources. I also offer myself, my time and experience and my listening ear. Children and Family Ministries includes the Early Childhood Team, the Children’s Spiritual Formation Team, and the Children’s Special Events Team. Each Team is working to build community connections with you and between you and other parents. If you want more information about what those Teams do or how to get more involved with out church children, or anything else. I will always prioritize time with you, to meet or to pray or to answer your emails.
Here is a link to the Conscious Discipline homepage. Conscious Discipline is, in my opinion and experience, the best and most comprehensive formalized approach to nurturing and communicating with children.
Children and Family Ministries is excited to build Christian community with you and your families. Each week we offer various opportunities for your children to engage in faith and fellowship. Sunday school classes will be meeting each Sunday beginning September 11. On Sunday mornings, children are also welcome to serve in the Processional Team as an acolyte or a Bible bearer. Later in the week, children and families are invited to gather with Rebecca and others for Celebration Community, a time of music and movement, which meets on Thursday evenings at 5:45 p.m. In addition to our weekly programming, there are larger community events that take place throughout the year. These include our Costume Carnival, Advent Wreath Workshop, Christmas Pageant, Spring Musical and Vacation Bible School.
Our weekly e-newsletter is sent out each Friday morning, and provides you with information regarding ongoing programs, upcoming events, and volunteer opportunities for parents and children alike! If you’d like to subscribe to the e-newsletter, you can find a link to do so HERE. Additionally Rebecca and Pastor Charlie have created many Children’s moments over the past two years. These can be found on our YouTube page.
Here’s a great example of current programming for kids: our 2022 Food Truck Party Vacation, a collaborative effort between children, families and church leadership. Click HERE to view some pictures from a week of faith, fun and fellowship.
Fall 2022 Children and Family Ministries Events and Activities
Please be aware that these dates and times are subject to change.
- Thursday, August 25 – PreK Community 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, August 28 – Blessing of the Backpacks during Worship
- Sunday, August 28 – Sunday School Teacher Training
- Saturday, September 10 – Community Tailgate 11:00am – 3:00pm
- Sunday, September 11 – Sunday School
- Sunday, September 11 – Jubilee Choir Start Up (grades 2-5) 3:45pm in Choir Room
- Thursday, September 15 – Celebration Community Fall Start Up 5:45pm
- Sunday, September 25 – 3rd Grade Bibles during Worship
- Sunday, September 25 – Kids’ Bible Study (K-5) 5:00pm
- Sunday, October 2 – Wide Circle Worship and World Communion Day with music from the children’s choirs
- Sunday, October 9 – Cherub Choir Start Up (grades K-1) 3:00 p.m. in Choir Room
- Sunday, October 23 – Argentina Virtual Mission Trip: Youth and Kids’ Night 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 30 – Costume Carnival 3:00 p.m.
- Sunday, November 6 – Wide Circle Worship and All Saints Sunday with music from the children’s choirs
- Sunday, November 20 – Advent Wreath Workshop
- Sunday, November 20 – Kids’ Bible Study (K-5) 5:00 p.m.